Surprise teams heading into January (Big 12)

thebigabd

Reaction score
Surprise #1
Texas Tech has surprised me by sucking with so many seniors and some pretty good talent... They are 6-6 heading into January, which I think has surprised pretty much everyone.

Surprise #2
Nebraska has surprised this season... They are 10-2 and on an 8 game win streak (with wins over USC, Creighton, and TCU) with their only 2 losses coming to Vandy (by 10) and Davidson by 3 on neutral courts. On their current 8 game win streak nobody has scored 60 points on them, and 3 of the teams havent made it to 50.

Surprise #3
Iowa State is 11-2 early, but have played a weak schedule. Regardless, I dont think anyone expected them to be 11-2 right now. They can shoot the lights out from the 3pt line, and a couple of key newcomers have been good for them. Freshman SF Melvin Ejim averages 13 and 7, while NIU transfer Darion Anderson averages 12 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. Senior PG Diante Garrett averaged 17 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 6 assists per game.

Surprise #4
Oklahoma is bad, but I dont think anyone thought they would be this bad. They havent shown a whole lot and have obvious talent deficiencies, but they have some key young freshman in Cameron Clark, Calvin Newell, and Tyler Neal who might see increased playing time in conference to get more talent and athletic ability on the floor.

Surprise #5
Missouri is really good. I had them top 4 in the Big 12, but they look like a team that could win the regular season and tournament. They are #9 in the country, Ricardo Ratliffe is the real deal, and Marcus Denmon has been awesome for them. They are 12-1 with their only loss coming against a really good Georgetown team in OT. Mike Anderson returns the entire team next year and they could be looking at a preseason top 5 ranking and a national title run.

Last edited:
Surprise #1
Texas Tech has surprised me by sucking with so many seniors and some pretty good talent... They are 6-6 heading into January, which I think has surprised pretty much everyone.

Surprise #2
Nebraska has surprised this season... They are 10-2 and on an 8 game win streak (with wins over USC, Creighton, and TCU) with their only 2 losses coming to Vandy (by 10) and Davidson by 3 on neutral courts. On their current 8 game win streak nobody has scored 60 points on them, and 3 of the teams havent made it to 50.

Surprise #3
Iowa State is 11-2 early, but have played a weak schedule. Regardless, I dont think anyone expected them to be 11-2 right now. They can shoot the lights out from the 3pt line, and a couple of key newcomers have been good for them. Freshman SF Melvin Ejim averages 13 and 7, while NIU transfer Darion Anderson averages 12 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. Senior PG Diante Garrett averaged 17 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 6 assists per game.

Surprise #4
Oklahoma is bad, but I dont think anyone thought they would be this bad. They havent shown a whole lot and have obvious talent deficiencies, but they have some key young freshman in Cameron Clark, Calvin Newell, and Tyler Neal who might see increased playing time in conference to get more talent and athletic ability on the floor.

Surprise #5
Missouri is really good. I had them top 4 in the Big 12, but they look like a team that could win the regular season and tournament. They are #9 in the country, Ricardo Ratliffe is the real deal, and Marcus Denmon has been awesome for them. They are 12-1 with their only loss coming against a really good Georgetown team in OT. Mike Anderson returns the entire team next year and they could be looking at a preseason top 5 ranking and a national title run.

Do you know if Standhardinger is transferring or going back to Germany?

Iowa State's SOS is 289. 7 of their 11 wins are against teams outside the RPI top 200. Rest assured that OU would look a lot better than they actually are if they had played such a schedule. Nebraska's SOS isn't exactly superlative at 249.

Iowa State's SOS is 289. 7 of their 11 wins are against teams outside the RPI top 200. Rest assured that OU would look a lot better than they actually are if they had played such a schedule. Nebraska's SOS isn't exactly superlative at 249.

Yep, weak schedules.

Do you know if Standhardinger is transferring or going back to Germany?

I dont know. I havent read anything about it either way.

Who has OU beaten that is in the top 200, 250? OU seems to have 2 schedules, the lousey teams they beat and any decent team they lose to.

How is OU a surprise? They have won one less game than most predicted. Everybody thought they would be this bad.

Who has OU beaten that is in the top 200, 250? OU seems to have 2 schedules, the lousey teams they beat and any decent team they lose to.

I'm just saying if you take Kentucky, Virginia, Arizona, Arkansas and Cincinatti and replace them with Idaho Tech, East Popcorn State, Rhode Island A&M, South Montana State and North Dakota, we'd probably have a pretty good record too. That's not to say that Iowa State and Nebraska haven't played ANYBODY, but they certainly have racked up some wins against division 1 bottom feeders.

How is OU a surprise? They have won one less game than most predicted. Everybody thought they would be this bad.

Because I dont think anyone expected them to be this bad. How bad they are is surprising, at least to me.

Another team that should be mentioned is Texas... They lost Pittman and James but it was addition by subtraction. With Jordan Hamilton leading the way they are a very good basketball team.

OU is exactly where people expected. Other than the loss to Chaminade every loss was expected. The defections made us start over from scratch at a time after all the good talent was already signed.

The surprise team is Texas. While people expected them to be OK they are the best team in the conference.

OU is exactly where people expected. Other than the loss to Chaminade every loss was expected.

The losses were expected, that is not what is surprising. How the team LOOKED in those losses (minus the Kentucky game) is what is probably most surprising. Yes we expected to lose, NO we did not expect the team to look so bad in those losses. Heck, I did not expect them to look so bad in our wins either. And what is most surprising is that the team does not appear to be getting better. They actually look to be regressing, that is the biggest surprise of all!

Why?
'Cause the BanMan CAN!

Add two more:
KU picked 4th in the conference looks to be the runaway favorite.
KSU picked to win it and #4 in the country looks like crap.

OU is exactly where people expected. Other than the loss to Chaminade every loss was expected. The defections made us start over from scratch at a time after all the good talent was already signed.

The surprise team is Texas. While people expected them to be OK they are the best team in the conference.

Kansas says otherwise...

Back