>>>>>Oklahoma vs. Kansas State Pregame Thread<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
>>>>>Oklahoma vs. Kansas State Pregame Thread<<<<<

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211396299

SATURDAY'S GAME BASICS
Oklahoma (6-7, 0-2 Big 12) heads to the Little Apple of Manhattan, Kan., in search of its first win inside Bramlage Colliseum since 2012. Both the Sooners and Kansas State (12-2, 1-1 Big 12) are coming off of close road losses this past weekend. Oklahoma fell to TCU, 60-57, in Fort Worth while the Wildcats lost on a last second bucket, 90-88, to Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse. Saturday’s meeting with K-State is the third game in a loaded five-game stretch to open Big 12 play. OU’s first five opponents (No. 2/4 Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, No. 3/2 Kansas and Texas Tech) combine for a record of 63-7.

ON THE AIR
Saturday’s game tips off at 2 p.m. CT and airs on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM “The Franchise” in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNEWS with Mitch Holthus and Bryndon Manzer calling the action.

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
•One of the youngest teams in both the Big 12 and the nation, Oklahoma has seen its freshmen and sophomores play a large role for the Sooners this season. The Sooner roster boasts 11 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) – the most of any OU team in the Lon Kruger era and the most of any Big 12 roster this season. The young Sooners have received ample experience through their first two Big 12 contests. OU freshmen have played a total of 176 minutes (most in Big 12) and have scored 43.9 percent of OU’s points in Big 12 play. Sooner underclassmen rank second in the Big 12 in total minutes played in conference competition (318) and have scored 72.0 percent of Oklahoma’s points the past two games.

• Through two conference games, the Sooners’ top three scorers have been newcomers off the bench. Freshman guard Kameron McGusty has averaged a team-best 10.0 points over the past two games while redshirt freshman forward Matt Freeman has shot 3-of-6 from 3-point range to average 8.5 points. JUCO transfer junior guard Darrion Strong-Moore has averaged 8.0 points since the start of conference play. The Sooner bench has averaged 29.5 points the past two games. Overall this season, the Oklahoma bench has outscored the opposing bench in 10 of OU’s 13 games.

• Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger played for Kansas State from 1970-74. He was named the Big Eight Player of the Year in 1973 and 1974. In 2003, Kruger was inducted into the Kansas State Hall of Fame. His number was retired at K-State in 2006.

• The Sooners have won or tied the turnover margin in 10 of its 13 games this season. Oklahoma is averaging 8.2 steals per game (31st in NCAA) and forcing 15.5 turnovers a contest (56th in NCAA). The Sooners are blocking 5.1 shots per contest (43rd in NCAA).

•The Sooners look to snap a five-game losing streak and return to a .500 winning percentage on Saturday against Kansas State. Despite losing seven games this season, the Sooners have found themselves with a chance to win in almost every contest this year. Oklahoma has led at halftime in five of its seven losses and has led at the half in both true road games this season (at Wisconsin on Dec. 3 and at TCU on Jan. 3). Five of OU’s seven losses have been decided by six points or less.

SERIES HISTORY
• Oklahoma and Kansas State will face off for the 204th time with the Sooners leading the all-time series 106-97.

• The Wildcats own a 59-36 advantage over OU when playing in Manhattan. K-State has won the last four games against Oklahoma inside Bramlage Coliseum.

• OU and K-State split the season series in 2015-16 with the home team winning each contest. The Sooners won, 86-76, in Norman while the unranked Wildcats upset No. 1 OU, 80-69, in Manhattan.

Re: >>>>>Oklahoma vs. Kansas State Pregame Thread<<<<<

I hate to be so frickin pessimistic but man, just don't see a win. Prob another 15 to 20 pt loss. If ksu can beat our #1 team from last year by 11...could get ugly.

Their 2 pt loss AT KU is a better "loss" than our loss at tcu.

Hope I'm wrong...

///

43.9% of OU's points in conference games have come from freshmen - the highest percentage among Big 12 teams. #AsONE

I think it will get nasty..but maybe OU can hang in there and stay within 10-15 points

I hate to be so frickin pessimistic but man, just don't see a win. Prob another 15 to 20 pt loss. If ksu can beat our #1 team from last year by 11...could get ugly.

Their 2 pt loss AT KU is a better "loss" than our loss at tcu.

Hope I'm wrong...

Last year's game is completely irrelevant.

But KSU is the much better team. I liked their potential last season with the 3 freshman they were playing. They should win this one relatively easy. But who knows?

Can someone please explain the 'doom and gloom' predictions of every game to me at this point? I get that the team has 7 losses. I get that woodard is out right now. What i dont get is the feeling like this team hasnt been competitive in almost every game. And not just competitive (10 or so points) but LEADING most of/if not all of these games at some point in the 2nd half (excluding Baylor) So that means that this team no longer has talent or is completely out matched in every game we play?!? Baylor has been the only game so far that this team was completely overwhelmed and 'out matched' from the tip. Yes the wheels have fallen off from time to time, namely in the 2nd half later in games but to predict a 15-20 point loss every game to me is laughable. And before im ripped for being a sunshine pumper, know this. Ive played the game and coached the game and am probably one of the most critical of this team but it's the 'little' things or fine details that are costing this team bad stretches and ultimately games more than talent but thats just one guy's opinion. Rip on :)

Can someone please explain the 'doom and gloom' predictions of every game to me at this point? I get that the team has 7 losses. I get that woodard is out right now. What i dont get is the feeling like this team hasnt been competitive in almost every game. And not just competitive (10 or so points) but LEADING most of/if not all of these games at some point in the 2nd half (excluding Baylor) So that means that this team no longer has talent or is completely out matched in every game we play?!? Baylor has been the only game so far that this team was completely overwhelmed and 'out matched' from the tip. Yes the wheels have fallen off from time to time, namely in the 2nd half later in games but to predict a 15-20 point loss every game to me is laughable. And before im ripped for being a sunshine pumper, know this. Ive played the game and coached the game and am probably one of the most critical of this team but it's the 'little' things or fine details that are costing this team bad stretches and ultimately games more than talent but thats just one guy's opinion. Rip on :)

I'm pessimistic about this game mainly because Weber knows how to beat Lon. Also, it's on the road and we aren't very good right now.

Anything can happen. You never know, maybe we can keep it close with a chance to win late.

I will add...it's easy to be pessimistic after losing to TCU, the worst program in the conference.

Last year's game is completely irrelevant.

But KSU is the much better team. I liked their potential last season with the 3 freshman they were playing. They should win this one relatively easy. But who knows?

Im not an idiot...i understand last yr had no relevance to this yr. I was merely saying we had a pretty good team last yr and ksu wasnt as good as they are this yr but still beat us by 11.

Well, to use your stats...yeah, we've led in 6 of the 7 losses but couldn't finish. Have you watch any other big12 schools besides ou? I have.
#1 we are not very good right now.
#2 rest of the big 12 is.

I'm not saying saying we'll get blown out by 15 to 20 THE REST OF THE SEASON...today..very good possibility.

Anything is possible...we just really look "out of sorts" right now.
Just my 2 cents

I'm pessimistic about this game mainly because Weber knows how to beat Lon. Also, it's on the road and we aren't very good right now.

Anything can happen. You never know, maybe we can keep it close with a chance to win late.

I will add...it's easy to be pessimistic after losing to TCU, the worst program in the conference.

First off my argument wasn't about whether or not KState should be favored in this game which I agree with that at this point the way both teams are playing. My issue is with those that automatically say OU is going to lose this game by 15 or more. I don't feel like that is a fair evaluation of this team the way they have played to this point in the season. They haven't lost every single game by 15 or 20 which was my point in my previous post. Weber has definitely shown that he can coach against lon's style/system and again at this point in this season OU hasn't shown that they really know who they are as a team like KSU has. I will say I watched the TCU/KU game and TCU definitely stood out more athletically this year than they have in at least the last 5 to 6 years and OU lead in most of that game if I remember correctly it was around 36 minutes and then of course lost it in the end. However, that can happen to anybody at any time on the road in this conference if I'm not mistaken KU lost to TCU at TCU at least once in the past five years. There is no question that OU needs to start figuring out how to win close games down the stretch but my point this entire time is that it seems like now people are just trying to justify a loss in their head by acting like they don't have a chance at all and that's just crazy to me.

Why did they review that? Sorry, but that was obvious the shot was before the buzzer.

Lackadaisical play. Sad.

Why did NCAA and NBA stop calling moving screams. It makes it very difficult to guard pick and rolls when the offense knows they will not be called.

Of course OU then gets one called. So I guess they do know what it is.

Honestly, I know we are struggling, and will continue to struggle this season. I enjoy college basketball, I trust that Lon will build this team, and build it the right way just as he did with buddy and co.

Our finishing is...questionable.

Yes and no. This team doesn't do the "little things" very well, but they also don't do the "big things" very well either. The Big 12 is really good this year....and that is why it isn't unreasonable to think that this team gets smoked about every other game they play in conference. Maybe they can improve and be more competitive more often, but they are simply a young, poor basketball team right now that doesn't do much well at all.

Why TF is CJ Cole in the game? Are we THAT desperate now?

Back