OU picked 9th in Big 12 Coaches Preseason Poll

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, tied for 9th (or last) with Texas Tech. Here's the release:

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205314008

Kansas and Texas A&M will share the designation of being the preseason favorite to win the 2011-12 Big 12 men's basketball crown in a vote of the league's head coaches. It marks the second time in conference history (KU, Oklahoma State in 2004-05) that two squads tied for the top spot in the preseason poll. Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own teams.

The Jayhawks will be led by senior guard Tyshawn Taylor and junior forward Thomas Robinson. Kansas has eight lettermen back from a squad that advanced to the NCAA regional semifinals for the 27th time in 2011. The Jayhawks have won or shared each of the last seven Big 12 regular season championships.

Texas A&M is in the No. 1 spot for the first time, with its highest previous preseason ranking coming in 2006-07 (second). New head coach Billy Kennedy welcomes back 10 lettermen and three starters in his first season in College Station. The Aggies are coming off their sixth straight NCAA appearance - one of 12 schools nationally and three in the Big 12 (KU, UT) that have accomplished the feat.

Baylor, Missouri and Texas were next in the predictions at third, fourth and fifth. BU and MU received first-place votes, marking just the second time in Big 12 history (2008-09) that four different teams received first-place recognition. Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Iowa State were next, while Oklahoma and Texas Tech tied for ninth to round out the poll.

The Big 12 season gets underway on Wednesday, November 9 as Texas A&M hosts Liberty with every squad opening the following weekend. Big 12 Conference action starts on Monday, January 2 - matching the earliest start in league history (1998-99). Big 12 teams will face a full double round-robin schedule in conference play for the first time in league history this season.

The Big 12 will hold its preseason media day on Thursday, October 20 at Sprint Center in Kansas City - site of the 2012 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship. Live coverage will be available at Big12Sports.com.

Code:
2011-12 BIG 12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PRESEASON POLL
  	Team (First-place Votes)   	Points
1. 	Kansas (5) 	73
  	Texas A&M (2) 	73
3. 	Baylor (2) 	63
4. 	Missouri (1) 	61
5. 	Texas 	51
6. 	Kansas State 	39
7. 	Oklahoma State 	33
8. 	Iowa State 	27
9.  	Oklahoma 	15
  	Texas Tech 	15

9th/last... that is not going to happen.

Agreed. I don't think OU will finish as low as 9th place either. Still, I don't see this poll as a bad thing. It will give our players the incentive to prove everyone wrong.

A preseason poll like that gave birth to 'Under Dawg', which was the predecessor to Top Dawg.

I don't think we'll end up there, either.

I think 9th is a realist PRE-season prediction based on our returning roster, last year's success and a new head coach. I think 7th place is kind of this team's ceiling. Who do you all think we'll definitely finish ahead of in the league?

Don't see how you couldn't rank us last given last year's failure...doubt we finish there though.

I think 9th is a realist PRE-season prediction based on our returning roster, last year's success and a new head coach. I think 7th place is kind of this team's ceiling. Who do you all think we'll definitely finish ahead of in the league?

I'm pretty sure we'll finish ahead of TT and ISU. And we might finish ahead of OSU and KSU. And I don't see aTm being as good as some may think.

I'm not so sure this may be a weak year for the league. But it's hard to tell how good we are with a new coach, new style, and how the players fit those rolls. We basically have everyone practicing together for a full year so that may be a good thing. Under Capel it seemed like we had completely different rosters the last couple years so it made it hard to have teams with any real chemistry. Having basically the same roster back helps with the chemistry.

OU may finish last but they will be better coached than last year.

I would expect OU to be able to separate themselves from the worst two teams. And then be in a log jam with the 5 thru 8 bunch. Probably not too much daylight between that group.

I'm pretty sure we'll finish ahead of TT and ISU. And we might finish ahead of OSU and KSU. And I don't see aTm being as good as some may think.

I really hope you're right. It's pretty crazy to see OU basketball have such low expectations but that's where this program is.

I can remember years when we were picked to finish 4th out of 12 and THAT was a disappointment. :(

ISU should be significantly better than Oklahoma.

As for Tech... OU and Tech are the biggest unknowns in the league. Not surprised they predicted last together.

well...truth is we're not going to be very good. Coach could whip'em into the absolute best shape they can possibly be and still finish no better than 9th - the ceiling is just pretty low right now.

well...truth is we're not going to be very good. Coach could whip'em into the absolute best shape they can possibly be and still finish no better than 9th - the ceiling is just pretty low right now.

Not to rehash an old argument, but based on what?

Granted we aren't very big, but I also don't think the Big 12 has a lot of punishing big men this year.

As far as overall talent, at least on paper, we're as talented as a lot of OU teams that have went Dancing. Pledger, Fitz, Osby, and Cam are all top 100 guys. We have experience. LK hand picked Grooms and Arent, and while I don't expect TE and Gray out of them, they should be solid.

I really think LK turns Pledger and Fitz into the players we all thought they'd be. Do that, have Osby truly be the best player, and actually get some defensive coaching, and we can win some games.

Damn, last place, seems about right. Heck, I thought OSU was loaded this year, and they are slated to be 7th? Looks like a pretty tough league to me.

I'ts amazing how far we have fallen. Kruger will get us back to respectability soon.

It'll be tough without a lot of scoring from the guards, and being limited in size. The Big 12 overall looks a bit down so there may be some surprise games we can pull out.

The great part is, we actually get to play these games. Once we start the conference season, who knows what will happen?

As far as overall talent, at least on paper, we're as talented as a lot of OU teams that have went Dancing.

Wrong.

Pledger, Fitz, Osby, and Cam are all top 100 guys.

Pledger and Fitz are mid-major players.

Back