>>>>>Oklahoma vs. West Virginia Gameday Thread<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
>>>>>Oklahoma vs. West Virginia Gameday Thread<<<<<

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211416697

WEDNESDAY'S GAME BASICS
For the third time in the past six games, Oklahoma (7-9, 1-4 Big 12) will face a top 10 opponent. The Sooners travel to Morgantown for a Wednesday night meeting with No. 7/8 West Virginia (15-2, 4-1 Big 12). Oklahoma is coming off of an 84-75 win over Texas Tech on Saturday in which Jordan Woodard (27 points) and Rashard Odomes (24 points) combined to score 51. The outing was Woodard’s fifth 20-point game of the season. The senior guard, who has started 116 games for the Sooners, is third in the Big 12 scoring race with 17.5 points per game. Oklahoma is 7-4 this season with Woodard in the starting lineup.

ON THE AIR
Wednesday’s contest tips off at 6 p.m. CT and air on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM “The Franchise” in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2 with Mark Neely and Fran Fraschilla calling the action.

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
• Sophomore guard Rashard Odomes has been one of the largest contributors to the Sooners' scoring efforts in conference play, averaging 11.4 points against Big 12 foes. Odomes has scored in double figures in three-straight games, including a career-high 24 points on Jan. 14 against Texas Tech. On the season, Odomes is scoring 10.5 points per game while shooting exactly 50 percent from the field.

• The Sooners have used eight different starting lineups this season - the most lineups used in one season under Kruger. Oklahoma defeated Texas Tech in its most recent contest under the debut lineup of Jordan Woodard, Kameron McGusty, Rashard Odomes, Dante Buford and Khadeem Lattin.

• With 597 career wins as a head coach, Lon Kruger is three victories away from becoming the 33rd coach to win 600 NCAA Division I basketball games. Kruger owns the 10th most DI wins among active head coaches. One of the few coaches ahead of him, West Virginia's Bob Huggins, has won 806 career games (734 at Division I level).

• OU continues to show its depth in conference play by averaging 26.0 points off the bench in conference play - the second-most bench scoring in the Big 12. The Sooners are one of only three Big 12 squads to average over 20 bench points in league games as the conference averages 17.3 per contest.

• Oklahoma's four scholarship freshmen combine to average 23.6 points per game in Big 12 competition. Guard Kameron McGusty leads the newcomers with 12.6 points per game. He has scored nine points of more in every Big 12 contest and has put together four-straight games of double-digit scoring. He is expected to start his third game in a row on Wednesday.

SERIES HISTORY
• Oklahoma leads the all-time series, 8-4, and is 2-2 against WVU in Morgantown.

• The Sooners swept the regular season series against WVU last year, winning 70-68 in Norman and 76-62 in Morgantown. The Mountaineers ended OU’s Big 12 Championship run by winning 69-67 in the semifinals in Kansas City.

Re: >>>>>Oklahoma vs. West Virginia Gameday Thread<<<<<

17 point underdogs tonight. Even though I think that line is probably right where it should be, it's still kind of shocking to see that.

there_will_be_blood_poster_2_by_miscellaneous_art-d3f5uyg.jpg

Yeah, the two games I'm not looking forward to are tonight and at Kansas.

Edit: I guess you could throw Baylor in there as well.

Agreed. A 1-3 record would be quite an achievement.

I should also throw Iowa State in there as a game I'm not looking forward to. I'm sure they'll rain 3s, get all the calls and the crowd will still boo all game.

I should also throw Iowa State in there as a game I'm not looking forward to. I'm sure they'll rain 3s, get all the calls and the crowd will still boo all game.

Not sure we have the experience outside of JW to hang with some of the better teams on their court this year. I bet by the end of the year though we might be a tough out in the Big 12 tournament. Next year this team should be much, much better when you look at the fact that all but 1 loss OU either had a huge halftime lead or should have won the game (Wisconsin, Kansas, Northern Iowa, WSU, Memphis, Auburn, etc).

Tough year, only option is to get better. I think this time next year they will have couple more wins. But as mention before without a point guard it's going to be a long road

Just curious -- four years ago at this point (or even at the end of that season), how many of you felt that Cousins would end up being a "true point guard" on a great team? He is one of my favorite OU players of all time, and I will be the first to admit that every time he ran the point as a freshman, I cringed because he was struggling so badly. This isn't to say that Shep will turn out to be as good as Isaiah, but it is way too early to make a definitive statement that he will never be good enough for the team to have success if he ends up being the point guard. Remember that he has already shown the ability to play well there for two or three games, including one game when Woodard was out. Point guard takes quite a while to master except in rare cases.

West Virginia is a brutal test for a team as young as OU is in the backcourt, so I won't be surprised if it is a long night. But even if it is, that doesn't necessarily mean all hope is lost for the next two or three years if Young doesn't pick OU.

I'm too the point of saying screw it. Let shepard take over this year. Throw him out there tonight.

Shepard
Woodard
Odomes
Doolittle
Lattin

I'm too the point of saying screw it. Let shepard take over this year. Throw him out there tonight.

Shepard
Woodard
Odomes
Doolittle
Lattin

I'm certainly not opposed to giving Shepard meaningful minutes at the point, but not if it means keeping Christian James on the bench for long stretches. Yes, I know, CJ has not played well recently; but he's not going to stay in this slump forever – and with his talent and potential I believe he's overdue to get back on track.

Also, as a genuine sunshine pumper, I believe the win over Tech was a harbinger of things to come. I believe the Sooners will play well against WV tonight and will handle the press much better than Baylor did. Not saying I think we'll win the game, though it won't surprise me if we're within striking distance in the final 2-3 minutes.

I am more pessimistic. I think that we will have > 25 TOs. Baylor had over 30

At least their crowd is limited and not very loud

Why are our players taugh that you can't dribble against the press?

Not talking about this specific group, as this has been a theme throughout Kruger's tenure. Whenever we face the press, our players just catch the ball in the backcourt and stand still waiting for someone else to get open.

There's no way that wasn't a goaltend.

Impressive inbounds and slam.

McGusty passing up uncontested 3s in exchange for a Lattin 15-footer is a terrible trade-off.

So far so good. Not getting rattled.

I forgot how much I hate Nathan Adrian

Poor pass by James.

Back