Sooners and Badgers Clash on Thanksgiving

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Sooners and Badgers Clash on Thanksgiving
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211781556

Game Notes / pdf file
http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/5479640.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

A win would give Oklahoma just its second 5-0 start in the past 10 years. The 2015-16 squad opened the year 12-0.

Should the Sooners advance against Wisconsin, Oklahoma would become just the second school to reach the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game multiple times over the tournament’s eight year history. Villanova reached the championship game in both 2013 and 2017.

Christian James continued his strong start on Wednesday with a game-high 18 points. James has reached at least 15 points in all four games this season (previous career-best streak was three games) and is second in the Big 12 in scoring with 21.5 points per game.

Brady Manek reached double-digit rebounds for the fourth straight game on Wednesday, pulling down 10 boards. The 6-9 forward averaged 5.2 rebounds during his freshman season (fourth most among Big 12 frosh), but after putting on roughly 20 pounds during the offseason he is showing more physicality on the glass. Manek is averaging 11.5 points and 11.0 rebounds through four games and is the only Big 12 player averaging a double-doubke. He entered the season with zero career double-doubles, but has recorded a double-double in three of his first four games this season. He is the first Sooner since Blake Griffin to open a season with three consecutive double-doubles.

The Sooners have gotten out to aggressive starts on the defensive end in their past three contests. In a road win at UTSA (Nov. 12), the Sooners held UTSA scoreless until the 12:09 mark as the Roadrunners missed their first 16 shots of the game. Oklahoma also saw a strong defensive start at home against Wofford (Nov. 18), as the Terriers missed their first six shots before getting on the board at the 15:48 mark. Against Florida (Nov. 21), the Gators went without a field goal until the 15:39 mark.

Graduate guard Miles Reynolds has started his season a perfect 14-of-14 from the foul line. He owns the fourth-most made foul shots without a miss in the country, behind leader Josh McSwiggan of Portland who is 20-of-20. Reynolds, a graduate transfer from Pacific, led the West Coast Conference in foul shots last season (158), shooting his free throws at an 80.2 percent clip.

Head coach Lon Kruger has emphasized that this year’s Sooner squad will feature different scorers stepping up each game. Through four games, seven different Sooners have scored in double figures in at least one game.

Last edited:
"Graduate guard Miles Reynolds has started his season a perfect 14-of-14 from the foul line. He owns the fourth-most made foul shots without a miss in the country, behind leader Josh McSwiggan of Portland who is 20-of-20. Reynolds, a graduate transfer from Pacific, led the West Coast Conference in foul shots last season (158), shooting his free throws at an 80.2 percent clip."

And Calixte is 10 of 12 while James is 22 of 24. That's a 45 of 49 between the three of them (91.8%). The only other player with more than 10 attempts is Manek, who is 8 of 11 (72.7), which creates an 88.3% shooting percentage amongst the four of them. These four players represent 4 of the 6 who have seen the most playing time (McNeace and Doolittle the other two).

In perusing a number of box scores I've noticed free throw shooting has become a lost art among various teams.

Last edited:
"Graduate guard Miles Reynolds has started his season a perfect 14-of-14 from the foul line. He owns the fourth-most made foul shots without a miss in the country, behind leader Josh McSwiggan of Portland who is 20-of-20. Reynolds, a graduate transfer from Pacific, led the West Coast Conference in foul shots last season (158), shooting his free throws at an 80.2 percent clip."

And Calixte is 10 of 12 while James is 22 of 24. That's of 45 of 49 between the three of them (91.8%). The only other player with more than 10 attempts is Manek, who is 8 of 11 (72.7), which creates an 88.3% shooting percentage amongst the four of them.

In perusing a number of box scores I've noticed free throw shooting has become a lost art among various teams.

Love it. Thanks for this post. You better not have announcer FT jinxed them tho lol

Up next: Dayton or no. 4 Virginia

should the Sooners defeat the Badgers, OU will advance to the championship game and face the winner of the Dayton-Virginia game. The tournament championship is slated for Friday at 1 p.m. Ct on espn. If OU falls to the Badgers, the Sooners will compete in Friday's third-place game at 10:30 a.m. CT on espn or espn2.

If we do a decent job of defending Happ we have a chance. If he abuses us then no chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Calixte is 10 of 12 while James is 22 of 24. That's a 45 of 49 between the three of them (91.8%). The only other player with more than 10 attempts is Manek, who is 8 of 11 (72.7), which creates an 88.3% shooting percentage amongst the four of them. These four players represent 4 of the 6 who have seen the most playing time (McNeace and Doolittle the other two).

Reynold’s numbers from the charity stripe are why I don’t get upset when he gets a little reckless on drives down the lane sometimes. He knows exactly what he’s doing. Sometimes it works to perfection (see his 14 of 14 from the line) and sometimes the result is a missed shot or turnover. You have to take the bad with the good with Miles.

7-6 at under 16

We're getting close range shots, but most aren't falling to this point.

Why the hell is Lon dropping the ball inside to these bigs. That's a bad plan even if you've got great bigs, let alone with the guys we have.

Bieniemy seems to have a lot of fire in him. Leads team with 9 steals.

11-15 at under 12

I hope Wis doesn't get hot, cause they getting open looks

We need to make some shots. They are stretching our D and are getting good looks.

McNease should never take a shot where his hands don't touch the rim. Period.

20-20 at under 8

Manek defending Happ pretty well. I like how McNeace is at least getting in Happ’s mind as either comes to help or does not.

Back