OU vs Tech 6pm CST on ESPN2

BoulderSooner

Owner/Operator
Reaction score
NORMAN – Holiday hoops hits the LNC on Tuesday when Oklahoma (5-1, 1-0 Big 12) hosts No. 15/16 Texas Tech (6-2, 0-1 Big 12) in the Sooners' first game against a ranked opponent this season.

Oklahoma has won six of its last seven Big 12 home openers but has a tall task in front of it to continue that trend. Texas Tech, who is coming off a one-point loss to Kansas, is holding its opponents to 52.4 points per game and limiting them to 36.1% shooting. The Red Raiders boast a strong group of groups and are led by transfer guard Mac McClung (15.0 points, 2.9 assists).

The Sooners' high-powered offense, led by Brady Manek (16.7 points, 4.8 rebounds) and Austin Reaves (16.3 points, 6.2 assists) will use as much fire power as it can against Tech's defense.

https://soonersports.com/news/2020/12/21/mens-basketball-hoops-at-home-for-the-holidays.aspx

game notes

https://soonersports.com/documents/2020/12/21/07_vs_Texas_Tech.pdf

Big one tonight. Need a win because if we drop this one, we could find ourselves buried in the standings given who our next three games are against. If we can end up no worse than 2-3 after five league games, we’ll be in decent shape.

OU can win this game if our players don’t try to sleepwalk through the first half. We also have to defend a lot better. Beard’s players always play hard. It’s not going to be easy, but it can be done if our players match their energy.

As an aside, Tech is led in scoring by Mac McClung, a Georgetown transfer. I saw him play twice on television last season. He’s a superb athlete with incredible hops. I read where he has a 48” vertical. His high school coach says it’s more like 50”.

Yep they are a bunch of 6-5 to 6-7 dudes who are crash the boards hard and are great athletes. Will be interesting to see how OU matches up.

OU can win this game if our players don’t try to sleepwalk through the first half. We also have to defend a lot better. Beard’s players always play hard. It’s not going to be easy, but it can be done if our players match their energy.

As an aside, Tech is led in scoring by Mac McClung, a Georgetown transfer. I saw him play twice on television last season. He’s a superb athlete with incredible hops. I read where he has a 48” vertical. His high school coach says it’s more like 50”.

He would break the combine record by 2 inches if it’s 48”.

Tech is a weird team this year... Someone earlier described it best. A bunch of 6'4'' to 6'7'' guys across the board. Good athletes.

Kuath is either going to be an asset or a liability in a matchup where their tallest player is realistically about 6'6''.

Beginning of a tough 4 game stretch against top 15 teams. We need this one tonight.

If tech is going to play that high, how about cutting to the basket.

Harkless is a dandy. Better than I thought.

New guys all look like they can play. Harmon is automatic from mid range

8 straight FGs made for Tech to end the half after what had been a pretty solid defensive stretch from about the 10 and a half minute mark.

Last edited:
Not sure what game some of you are watching....but our defense is bad again. Tech is not an offensive juggernaut by any stretch, yet they are shooting 59% and 42% from 3.....primarily because we can't guard their big stiff in the lane. The flow of this game isn't looking good.

We just can't hang with them, their guys have too much game. Unfortunately. This is the difference between a good program and a mediocre program, we are lacking a true difference maker. Our defense is giving them all day to shoot too. Iwuakor is battling down low, at least.

Last edited:
We just can't hang with them, their guys have too much game. Unfortunately. This is the difference between a good program and a meteor group program, we are lacking a true difference maker. Our defense is giving them all day to shoot too. Iwuakor is battling down low, at least.

100% different the the first half I just watched

Back